So, as many of you probably don’t know. I work at a library. I’m a clerk which means I re-shelve all the books when they are returned.
Today, I was pittering around, working on a truck of books when I saw this comic: Princeless, #3.
Now, I’m a major comic fan, but I’m also a major feminist which puts me in a strange position. Comics are very often filled with themes that don’t really sit well with me, most obviously: over-sexualization. As a general rule I’m of the thinking that “you can enjoy problematic things as long as you understand and acknowledge that they are problematic.” And thus, my feminism and my fangirling continues uninterrupted.
In this case, I picked up this comic and flipped though it. I was stunned at how hard it hit the nail on the head. This comic addresses the “warrior woman ” trope. Where a woman’s armor is almost always consisting of a plated bra and panties.
The description and dialogue about the different types of armor that follow this photos are absolutely spot on. and the final panel of the issue, where (SPOILERS) the heroine gets a set of ACTUAL armor made me audibly cheer. (and fist pump the air)
Top these themes off with vivid fun illustrations, great writing and characterization and an WoC as the main character and this comic is definitely a must read for me.
OH! and they’ve also got a tumblr! http://princelesscomic.tumblr.com/
BRB. Off to my local comic shop!
- geekistani likes this
- ealperin reblogged this from princelesscomic
- ealperin likes this
- durinsname likes this
- the-duelling-tophat likes this
- princelesscomic reblogged this from 10wastedminutes
- pickleinspecteur likes this
- pavimonster reblogged this from 10wastedminutes
- sensiblesidekick reblogged this from a-silly-person
- a-silly-person reblogged this from 10wastedminutes
- little---kitten reblogged this from 10wastedminutes
- 10wastedminutes posted this